Re: alfa-digest V8 #275 - Substitute for Loctite 270 Green?

In a message dated 12/07/2001 1:27:41 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: 07 Dec 2001 12:34:22 -0500
> From: Daniel Scolaro <dan_scolaro@domain.elided>
> Subject: Substitute for Loctite 270 Green?
>
> Hi all,
>
> I need to reinstall the flywheel on a V6 (from a 164).  The shop manual
> calls
> for Loctite 270 Green on the bolts but when I went to the local Pep Boys it
> was nowhere to be found.  In fact, it is not listed on the application guide
> on the back of the other packages (also they have been renumbered).
>
> Is Wurth Blue Threadlocker an acceptible substitute for the 270?  I don't
> want
> the flywheel bolts going anywhere.
>

> TIA,
>
> Dan Scolaro
> Delaware Valley AROC www.dvaroc.org
> Phila, PA
>
> 65 2600 Spider
> 87 Milano Gold
> 91 164 (awaiting transplant)
> 88 Verde parts car w/o sunroof (need anything?)
> 91 164S (organ donor)

       I called LocTite about that a few years ago.  They said that number
270 was no longer available.  They said to use Red LocTite #271.  I wrote a
note on my 85 Spider shop manual page 01-14.
       For what it is worth, the flywheel bolts in both my 82 street racer
and my 84 race car are safety wired.  I will not take time to explain it all
in full, but I suggest you do not paint the flywheel surface where it mates
with the crankshaft.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City