Bell Housing Bushing

Hey Y'all,

Thanks to all who responded to my driveshaft confusion issue.  But the
Alfetta saga continues;

I have removed the bell housing bushing/mount on my 76 Alfetta GT.  I
removed all the stuff in the way then jacked up the front of the engine to
tilt the bell housing bushing down.  Gently heating the part of the bell
housing surrounding the bushing and then giving the outer metal sleeve of
the bushing a few love taps with a blunt tipped air chisel, (the air
pressure was turned down very low), the bushing almost jumped out.
Prematurely I thought "wooo hooo!, this is going to be easier than I
thought".  To put the new one in I tried heating the bell housing and
freezing the bushing but only managed to get the new one about 90% in before
it stuck solid.  I tried heating the bell housing and gently persuading the
bushing in but only gained a small increment of  movement and then i noticed
that the rubber was smoking because i had concentrated the heat in one area
just a little too much.  i have now removed the bell housing and inspection
shows that the rubber has started to separate from the steel in that area, I
figure the new one is toast and  i need another new one.  What is the best,
easiest way to install this?  Is a two piece polyurethane version available?

Thanks,
Wayne Abbott
Durham, NC
MAARC Member