74 Spider - Ashtray Light???

In V8 #271 Tim Sheridan asks a terribly logical question: "The ashtray
"bucket" (the removable part) I have is a rectangular solid silver thing
(looks original), with no way for the ash tray light to "shine through".

"What am I missing ?"

*********

Tim, I too asked the Digest the same question a number of years ago.

I'm somewhat convinced it's sort of a Zen thing (not that I have a clue
what Zen really is) the Alfa Ashtray designer thought would be
interesting so that later generations of restorers would have something
to mull over.

Best I can tell and believe others concurred, it's really designed to
run the battery down when the 'door' is left open.

I always remove the bulb (along with the wires to the cigarette
lighter). I feel the ashtray's main use these days is for carrying
parking meter change and to look elegant sitting behind your chromed
shift lever. So sue me.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA