Road trippin' (short) plus question

I just returned from a 5-day road trip to the Anza-Borrego Desert (near San Diego) from San Francisco in my 164.  The stallion ran flawlessly and managed about 25 MPG on the interstate.  When I pulled into various campsites in the black LS, more than one head turned to see what was coming up the road.  I took US101 south then turned onto highway 166 to the Los Padres Nat'l Forest.  The 164 handled the back roads with aplomb and put many a SUV to shame on the twisties.  The whole journey was about 1100 miles roundtrip in mostly cool to rainy road conditions.

There isn't a better car out there for long-distance touring.

One issue did creep up, however: every so often the transmission would pop out of 5th gear.  This wasn't a huge hassle as I was mostly on 3rd & 4th gear backroads.

The only thing I can think of is that the pinion shaft is misaligned with the engine block, or that the pinion gear is worn out.  Os could it be that it's as simple as the shift linkage needing adjustment?  Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

In the meanwhile, take those 164s out on the road and show the owners of Cadillac Escalades what driving is all about!

Paul cuadra@domain.elided

164 LS 5-speed
97 Moto Guzzi Sport (25K miles -- has seen all four corners of the Golden State)