Current Alfa racing and F1

Phill Erasmus wrote:

"To ad to Zamani's post though, I don't think it is a
case of F1 being too expensive for Alfa Romeo but
rather a situation where it will not make sense for
Fiat to compete against itself in one type of motor
sport - Why  enter both Alfa Romeo AND Ferrari into
F1? Who would get the most financial, and technical
backing? Imagine the internal politics within the Fiat
management of which team must get the most benefit.
Also if this would happen, it would be only to the
advantage of the other F1 teams!

That is why I think Alfa Romeo is being heavily
involved in saloon car racing (like the Touring Car
series) and Ferrari in the more prestigious F1..."

Regards,
Phill

This could very well be true and I suspect it to be
so. However the question I have is: Exactly how much
control does FIAT have over Alfa Romero?  Perhaps Alfa
is set up as an independent business unit under FIAT
and as such they can make their own decisions as long
as they are profitable?  Furthermore maybe Ferrari
doesn't really care where the F1 competition comes
from and might even view little competition from
within as a good thing?

In any case I imagine it is a decision of management
at FIAT, Alfa and perhaps even Ferrari, for Alfa not
to enter factory sponsored cars into F1 events at this
time. Maybe someone on the digest knows how much
autonomy Alfa Romeo has, or doesn't have, within the
FIAT conglomerate?

Happy holidays and safe motoring,

Tim Mills
http://greetings.yahoo.com