Ferrari & Ford some more...

Michael Smith said:

"Ford was so P O'd by Enzo's arrogance (isn't that
redundant?) they built the GT 40 just to beat the
pants off him."

Well...after I got my events all backwards, as Brian
Shorey so gently pointed out, I went and looked it up
as I shoulda done to begin with.

Apparently, after looking hard at the fine print, and
finding that he wouldn't have nearly the control he'd
been promised, Ferrari backed out of the deal with
Ford in '64 or thereabouts. I do remember that the
prototype for the GT40 was Eric Broadley's
Ford-powered Lola GT, which was doing well in the '63
LeMans race when the Colotti gearbox screwed up and
the car crashed. Ford figured this could be the
Ferrari-beater, and came in with wads of money to
develop the car, but it still took them until 1966 to
do the job.

Will Owen
Pasadena, CA
http://shopping.yahoo.com