RE: 164Q CD Changer and ignition switch

I have also gotten the hang of removing the key with the button, but I still don't like it. There's no reason for it, either..

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Jarmanhome@domain.elided [mailto:Jarmanhome@domain.elided]
	Sent: Tue 11/27/2001 10:32 PM
	To: alfa-digest@domain.elided
	Subject: Re:164Q CD Changer and ignition switch

	Mr. Karl Robrock asks in AD#251:
	"Also, I remember reading a while back about disabling the locking
	mechanism that prevents removing the key from the ignition without
	pressing that silly button. Does anyone have that digest post handy, or
	could tell me what is involved in disabling the locking mechanism? I'm
	sure I could figure it out, but it would be nice to hear what is involved
	first."

	Well Karl, I once tried that with our ex-164LS.  I was losing patience with
	that
	button/key business too.   After griping about it to Irene, I popped off the
	little cover there under the steering column surround, pulled down on the
	emergency release button, and managed to maneuver a rubber grommet under it.
	 Voila!!  Presto chango!  No more struggles with the key/button, right?
	And, as Irene later told me, the gear selector could be freely shifted
	without applying the brake, gone was the ignition/shifter interlock, she flat
	didn't like it.  Neither did I.  Being the understanding, sympathetic wife
	she is, she then taught me how to extract the key without fumbling.   As I
	recall, if one barely nudges the key back toward "ON" position as you thumb
	the button, it slips right out.   That was three years ago, more or less.
	Hey- I got really good at it!  Admittedly, it takes practice.
	I was so appreciative, I took her out to Portabella's on a real date... in
	the Spider.

	Dave, Irene and Mikey Jarman
	Lexington KY
	USA