A/C in a 1974 GTV?

>> Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 13:33:15 -0800 (PST)
>> From: Ray Manners <rcmanners@domain.elided>
>> Subject: A/C in a 1974 GTV?
>>
>> My friend has a '74 GTV that he would like to put an A/C unit into. The
only
>>real obstacle I see is how and where to mount the compressor. The space
>>where it is in my '87 Spider is taken up by his Spica FI unit. Has anyone
>> out there done this before? Any suggestions as to bracket sources or
>> fabricators? All comments are welcome...
>>
>> I am in the NYC/Long Island area.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> growing older but not up...
>> Ray
>> rcmanners@domain.elided
>>

>     I am in the same situation.  We bought a partly assembled 74 GTV and I
>promised my wife that the air conditioning would get reinstalled.  It had
>(dealer installed ?) air conditioning from new...
>
>Ciao,
>Russ Neely
>Oklahoma City

Hi Guys,
My '74 GTV has this same "original" A/C.  When I bought it the pump and
brackets were gone, but all the other equipment was still in the car.  The
pump was mounted above the alternator on the driver's side of the engine, as
that is where the refrigerant tubes terminated.

I am actually going the opposite direction -- I want to lose all evidence of
the A/C, especially the huge housing under the dash.  If my A/C was a dealer
option, they did a commendably neat install, because even the holes in the
firewall look like they were there before the factory paint was applied.  The
only fan switch in my car is mounted in the A/C console, and not having seen
too many other GTV's I am not sure where it would be on a non-A/C car.  I've
hesitated to yank all this stuff out because I was unsure I would be able to
end up with a heater fan in working order.  If this is not factory equipment
then it seems like I should be able to do what I want, assuming I can find a
non-A/C console and any other parts I need!  Ray, does your friend want to
trade for the inside parts?

Tony Sims
'74 GTV