Clutch

<My new thinking is that replacing just the throw out bearing and driven
disk would be enough for a clutch job.  Any comments?>

Been there, done that.......sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but
even a pressure plate that looks fine can have fatigued springs in the spring
diaphragm.

I suppose you pays your money and takes your choice. The main reason for
replacing all three parts is to lessen the chances of a weak link in the chain
of components. Nothing is absolute however and it may prove perfectly
satisfactory just to replace the bearing and driven disk and keep the pressure
plate. I could not possibly recommend it however, and most mechanics insist on
all three components being replaced for warranty reasons , and because it
lessens the chance of a moaning customer coming back through the door if the
attempt at economy turns pear shaped.

When I was a claims controller at Autoguard Warranties (long defunct) we
sometimes tried to save money this way. Frankly it saved us peanuts and caused
a lot of grief. When I moved over to the Ford A1 side of the company (
Sub-contracted used car warranties for Ford Main Dealers in the UK) we always
replaced clutches as a full kit as a matter of policy and had a much happier
time, as did the customer.

Tim Hancock   164 TS Lusso    Boston UK   ( I can't be sure as its over twenty
years ago, but I have a feeling that Alfas were 'excluded vehicles' under
these warranties , but we lost lots of money covering Triumph Stags with their
wretched engines. Sometimes there's no justice)