re: Normal/deep oil sumps

In AD8-0250 John Basel asks:

"I've got a new SPICA oil pump and used sump that I plan to install in a 105
1600 engine.  According to the parts books, there are two types of pump and
sump normal (18mm) and deep (28mm).

 "How do I tell what types I have and if they are a matching set?"

 The 18 mm pump was used on the original Giulia T.I. and Giulia Super, the 28
mm on all others. The upper part of the pump (attaching to the block) should
be the same in either case; the lower part (enclosing the gears) differs; if
that part has a part number cast on it the shallow should end in .00 and the
deep will end in .02. The shallow sump bottom was similarly used on the
original Giulia T.I. and Giulia Super; if that part has a part number cast on
it the shallow will begin with 105.00 and the deep will begin with 105.14.

 There were also two different upper pans, but they do not move in lockstep
with the lower and the pump, so I assume they are the same depth; the earlier
was also used on the early Juniors which used both the deep pump and the deep
sump bottom, so it should not be a problem, but in any case the part numbers
should begin 105.00 for the earlier and 105.41 for the later.

 At least that is what the Catalogo Rapido indicates - -

 I assume that in a worst-case mismatch there would be a distinct physical
no-go with the deep pump in the shallow sump; in the opposite case I would
doubt that a 10 mm difference in the height of the pickup would be critical
unless one was three quarts low, which sounds unlikely for any of us.

(There is also a superdeep setup, with a spacer between the upper and lower
pans, for competition, but if you had that you would know it -)

 Cheers,

 John H.

Raleigh, N.C.