Re: promiscua, Italian legislation

Regarding the terms used in various languages for the good old station wagon, it is worth keeping in mind that some words are concoctions of marketing folks that never gain general usage. It is my understanding that no German Opel owner would refer to his five-door as a "Touring", this term being trademarked by BMW. The Swedish "harrgardsvagn" (manor wagon) seems to be associated with Volvos in that language.

Promiscua, as we learned from L O, came into popular usage from its meaning in a regulatory context. I was quite surprised to hear that transport of goods in a passenger vehicle is illegal in Italy, but it goes well with what I have heard about a law against doing mechanical work on your own vehicle, which also should mean that private individuals cannot buy spare parts. I have bought Alfa parts at a Rome car dealership around 1990 (good prices), but when I stopped in at an Alfa parts distributor in Liguria a few years later, the guy at the counter seemed to have no interest in my business despite my ability to speak Italian. An elaboration on these rules would be intersting for those of us planning to pick up parts in Italy.

Sonny 1991 164S
Baltimore