Spin-on oil filter on a 1.8 GT 1600 Junior 'M'

In AD8-0244 Jacob Haagerup wonders about the origin of the 1779 cc engine in
his 1975 GT 1600 Junior M, which has the late-style spin-on oil filter; was it
a 1750 (which does not have the spin-on filter) or a 1.8 from an Alfetta
(which does not have the pilot bushing in the crank required by the front
transmission?.

 He asks: "So did this engine come out of a later Super or perhaps an
Alfetta?" Not out of a Super; the only cars built with the 1779 were Berlinas,
GT Veloces. Spiders, Alfettas, Giulietta Nuovas, 90s, and 75s

 I do not have any parts books covering the Alfetta 1.8 engine, which never
reached these shores, so I can only guess, but my guess is that he probably
has an Alfetta engine, or at least an Alfetta block and front (timing) cover.
As far as I can tell the "1750" engine was never built with a spin-on filter.
In the USA, Alfetta crankshafts are often drilled to accept the pilot bushing,
so that should be no problem. Among the two-liters an alternate approach here
is to fit a 115 2000 crankshaft and flywheel in an Alfetta block, and I assume
that a comparable exchange would be equally possible in the case of the two
1779 cc engines. If Chris Sweetapple is correct, as I assume he is, that of
the 105s only the 2000 ever got the 6-bolt flywheel, while all 116s had 6
bolts, there would be two possibilities: one could have a 105 1750 crank and
flywheel in a 1.8 Alfetta block, or one could have a 105/115 two-liter
flywheel on a 116 1.8 crankshaft which had been drilled for the pilot bushing.
Counting bolts should tell which it is.

 There is one third possibility, but it is one which would be obvious. The
early filters were mounted on the block, the late ones on the timing cover. It
should be possible to use an early block with a blanking plate at the filter
mount, along with a late front timing cover. There would be no great advantage
in doing so, but if one had the parts and preferred the spin-on filter one
might do it.

 One trivia note: in the 105 'Catalogo Rapido' all of the spin-on filter
timing covers on 105 cars, whether for 1300, 1600, or 2000 engines, have 116
part numbers- 116.01.01.031.02 for the 1300, 116.00.01.031.01 for the 1600,
116.08.01.031.01 for the 2000, indicating that they were developed during the
Alfetta design project and then applied to the 105 cars in current production.
Of course there never was a 1300 Alfetta. There was, however, the later
Giulietta Nuova 1.3, which may well have been anticipated in an early stage of
the Alfetta design project

 Cordially,

 John H.

Raleigh, N.C.