Re: alfa-digest V8 #237 - Changing the roll center of a suspension

George,
       I need to dig out my copy of How to Make Your Car Handle.  Maybe I
ought to read it too! <grin>
      I need to build or buy a panhard bar for my 84 spider race car.  I
bought a bar from Speedway but have yet to build mounts.  I also plan to
build a pair of upper control arms so I will have a four bar rear end
attachment.  Any comments on that?  Should we move this to the Alfa Racing
list for additional comments?  That is a more appropriate forum than Alfa
Digest.

       Who's bar are you using?  Jack Beck at
http://www.orionmotorsports.com/ wants $625 for his weld in bar kit plus $200
to weld it to the axle plus $400 for the upper link to replace the T Bar.
       I broke down and bought his tubular front sway bar that bolts under
the steering box.  I am glad it did.  I bolted right in and would have taken
hours of trial fitting to duplicate it.
       I seems Jack told me once the Panhard bar could be used with the stock
T Bar.  Apparently the conflicting centering devices do not fight each other
too much.  Or that was the impression I got.

      I bid on a Tom Zat bar on eBay some time ago.  I bid half what Tom
wanted for his bar and did not get it.  He charges $295 per his web page at:
http://www.alfaheaven.com/  However, it appears it mounts at axle level,
which would not lower the roll center all that far.
      Also how far below the axle is your Panhard bar?  Do you have the stock
gas tank?  Does your bar attach to the axle on the passenger side?  Jack's
bar does that so that you can change the drive side axle housing and center
section as a unit to change gear ratios.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City