Re: V-8 engine details for Montreal, Tipo 33

The Montreal 2.6 l V8 has a cross-plane crank. The Tipo 33 2.0 l V8 used a flat crank. The tipo 33 engine also had twin plugs and 4 valves/cylinder. The twin plug engines used two distributors, one driven by each exhaust cam. They also used four electronic ignition units and four coils. Each ignition unit and coil fired four plugs. I have heard that this was done since the electronic iginition modules could not handle eight plugs at the engine speeds
that they were getting (10,000 RPM which would be 666 sparks per second). The Montreal carried over the ignition system but with two electronic modules, two coils and one distributor. The cylinder head castings kept the ability to have the distributor on either head which made it easier when building RHD cars since they just moved the distributor to the left head. The power brake booster occupies the space where the distributor would be on the drivers
side head.

Gene Brown
Simi Valley, CA
72 Montreal