Re: Colli wagons (and other Alfa wagons)

Hello everybody,

John H. wrote in his detailed posting in AD #242:

" After that among the big Alfas we see a single 75 Sport Wagon built by
Rayton
Fissore and exhibited at Geneva in 1987, but I can't recall reading or
hearing
about a Sport Wagon (Promiscua, Giardinetta, Shooting Brake, whatever) on
the
1750, 2000, Alfetta Berlina, Sei, 90, or 164. Hatches galore on the
Alfasud,
Alfetta coupe, Arna, 33, 145, some as "hatches" but some as Giardinettas or
Sport Wagons. The Lancia Thema, in many respects directly comparable to the
164, but aimed at a slightly different demographic, also was available as a
wagon. I am left with a strong impression that the connotations of a wagon,
whether considered a proletarian Promiscua or a suburbanite Giardinetta or
gentry's Shooting Brake, did not fit the image which Alfa, and later Fiat,
wanted to project for the 164's market niche. There may have been a few (if
there is a Zat in Wisconsin there could be a Zattian doppelganger somewhere
in
Italy) but I rather doubt there was a company-built car or a
company-sponsored
prototype."

There was in fact a wagon based on the Alfa 90, not an official prototype,
but a private project by the editor of an Italian auto magazine.  There are
pictures and lots of info on Tony Lupton's excellent Alfa 90 page:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/7709/

The text says. among other things, that they also built an Alfetta-based
wagon,
based on a late-model Alfetta Quadrifoglio Oro, in 1984.

Finally, here's a question for John H.;  I've always wondered about the
meaning
of the name "Promiscua" that was given to the Giulietta wagons.  I hardly
think
that it has the same connotations as the English word "promiscuous"?

Regards
Jorn Bereng
Oslo, Norway

1985 GTV 6, red (Sleeping - waiting for summer!)
2000 Saab 9-5 2.3 turbo wagon (Dog hauler - not Italian, but at least it's
red.
           Saab "Imola red" is VERY close to Alfa red, and that's why I
chose it!)

"Life is too short to drive boring cars"