Re: Quadraflows, hot air and beautiful sound

Mark Kunkel wrote:

>I have a 74 Spider with Spica and have listened lustfully to the audio .wav
>files of Dave Pratt's, throaty and wonderful in part due to the Shankle
>Quadraflows he installed.

And Tony Martie replied:

>Quadraflows may sound great but you sacrifice getting cool air from in front
>of the car for hot underhood air. Where is the payoff in that?

I've heard that said many times too, and I certainly don't disagree with
the thermodynamic concept, but with all the turbulence in the engine
compartment of a Spider at speed, I can't imagine that the temp of the air
being ingested through my Quadraflows is more than a couple of degrees
warmer than ambient.  Plus, assuming a, uh, sporting throttle setting, the
engine is continuously removing prodigious amounts of whatever air is there
as well.

>My Spider has a straight pipe where the center muffler once was and a
>beautiful Supertrapp stainless muffler in place of the rear muffler. This
>makes a beautiful sound, its flow is adjustable, and gives me much improved
>ground clearance underneath.

Part of the wonderful auditory stimuli we get from our Alfas comes from the
exhaust note, but part also comes from intake sounds, which are muffled by
the stock Spica airbox.  Having owned Webered Alfas, I missed that; hence
the Quadraflows.

(In case you want to hear what Mark was talking about, visit
www.velocissima.com, crank up your speakers (your Spicas?), and click on
the Alfa logo.  The only complaints I've heard have been that I didn't
leave her in each gear long enough...  ;)

Cheers -

Dave Pratt
Dedham, MA USA
'74 Spider (the throaty diva)