105 GTV hood release

Subject: RE: 105 GTV hood release cable...

> Later I tried to fashion an emergency fishline release but the latch
spring is
> so stiff I gave up on the idea.

Someone had added this comment to the thread on 105/115 hood releases.
I disagree with the above quote, and would hate to see it discourage folks
from
installing one.  While it won't help the poor guy with the stuck hood who
started this thread,  I think that adding an emergency/back-up release cable
is
an EXCELLENT idea.

I installed mine using light-gauge steel cable from a hardware store, plus
a swaged on cable clamp that secured a small loop.  I wrapped the
loop around the pin in the lever that the factory cable clamps to.  The
cable is threaded toward the left fenderwell, parallel to the firewall.
I drilled a hole in the hood latch bracket, next to where the factory
cable sheath terminates, for the back-up cable to pass through.
From there, the thing crosses above the brake booster, and through
another small hole drilled in the fenderwell.  I created a "handle" by
putting a short length of small-diameter plastic tubing over the cable
end, and making another loop secured with a small cable clamp
(you can't very well swage on the second clamp, working in the
upper recesses of the wheelwell, so there I used a U-bolt style
cable clamp).

That's all there is to it - a light tug on the loop up in the left
wheel well, and hood latch pops.  Actually, the thing is handy when
you are working on the car, and don't want to walk all the way
back to the interior to pull the factory handle.

Now, if my Duetto's battery disappears, I'll know it was one of
you guys who now knows my secret!

Jay Mackro
San Juan Capistrano, Calif.