used timing belts

In a message dated 11/14/2001 9:43:46 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> What is the collective wisdom on reusing a timing belt that was
> removed for one reason or another while it was still young.  Let's
> say the belt was put on 1yr/10k mi ago but I want to remove the
> tensioner to fix an oil leak.  Some people tell me that the belt is
> ruined once its relaxed, and that putting it back on the car will
> risk failure.  Other people say its perfectly okay.  Any thoughts?
> Thanks.

Here's my personal 4000 lire:

In the scheme of things the timing belt is not expensive, and it certainly
has a limited life under idea conditions.  Compared to the cost (or time and
effort) of replacing the belt, the part itself is negligible.  It doesn't
make sense to me to spend all the (time, money) to put in a 2nd hand belt,
even if it is not destroyed in the process.  I would say penny wise and pound
foolish.

Or, if the belt is 10k miles old and has a life of 30k (or 50k), you can see
that you have already used up a lot of the value and the cost of doing the
replacement warrants a new belt or you will be behind the financial 8 ball on
it not that long down the road.

Plus, on general principal, no matter the age, I personally believe there are
certain parts that need to be replaced with NEW ones whenever they are
removed, for whatever reason, and sometimes if even only to reach something
else (such as a water pump).

I think the economy you're hunting is about the equal to one or two large
pizzas with everything... v a good chance of destroying the top end.  I would
forgo the pizzas.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA