Re: What's In A 164 Tool Kit

Obie wrote to the Digest, asking about what's in the OEM tool kit in a
164.  I've owned three 164Ss, two of which I purchased new. When new,
the trunk included a terrible Styrofoam tool kit. This kit was around
10-12" long, a rounded-rectangle in shape and ribbed on the top and
bottom. It came with a yellow or blue one-use banding strap (the exact
type you see on a refrigerator or television box) which had to be cut
off to open the kit. Inside was a very poor quality set of tools that
included a pair of pliers, a screw driver, an extra OEM wheel locating
pin and the only useful piece- a spark plug wrench with a sort of
universal joint so you could reach the plugs on the rear bank. If I
recall, there was at least one, if not two blank slots in the kit. IMHO,
the kit was a hideous piece of junk, not at all in keeping with the
presentation or image of the 164. Virtually all the tool kits were lost
or thrown out since once you cut the plastic band, the box never stayed
closed. APE out here in CA throws the kit out every time they get a 164.
They only save the universal-jointed sparkplug wrench, which they sell
for $25 or so.

I wrap my lug wrench and jack in a towel and wedge them in place to the
left of the spare, under the wheel retaining strap. There are a couple
of plastic clips they are supposed to clip into, but mine failed in a
few months. If I remember, the two metal hooks at the front of the trunk
are just to attach bungi cords or rope to to hold down objects in the
trunk. The large red knob on the inside of the trunk lid is to attach
the red strap from the trunk floor panel to when removing the spare.
Many of these knobs break or pull off.

If you don't want to use the space-saver spare, you can remove the
plastic molded piece in the spare wheel well and grind the metal posts
that held it in place flush with the trunk floor. A full-size wheel and
tire will then fit fine. You should also have a ski sack, which fits
into the hole you'll see when you fold down the center armrest in the
rear seat and pull out the rectangular leather-covered panel behind it.
The sack was made of a waterproof material that allowed you to fit a set
of skis through the trunk, and into the rear seat area without dripping
snow and ice into the car.

Rich Lasner
92 164S
ARA