105 GTV hood release cable...

All,
Whilst i was going down to the local bike shop to copy my worn and frayed
hood release cable, my friendly and helpful neighbor closed the hood "YOU
DIDN'T WANT TO LEAVE THAT OPEN THERE IN THE DRIVEWAY DID YOU, LEAVES WERE
BLOWING IN...".
At a loss as to the next step. A perusal of the archives did not yield much.
This is a (desperate) appeal to the collective list wisdom.
An Alfa mechanic in Albuquerque suggested getting underneath and snaking
something up by the bell housing to trip the latch.
TIA,
Andres (sadder than you could imagine) Yver
In Santa Fe, NM
I see Snow!!! up on Santa Fe Baldy today...