reusing timing belts

What is the collective wisdom on reusing a timing belt that was
removed for one reason or another while it was still young.  Let's
say the belt was put on 1yr/10k mi ago but I want to remove the
tensioner to fix an oil leak.  Some people tell me that the belt is
ruined once its relaxed, and that putting it back on the car will
risk failure.  Other people say its perfectly okay.  Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Joe Elliott
'82 GTV6 (hoping to eliminate all oil control problems by year's end)
'73 Opel GT (hoping to move under its own power someday)