Re: Torsion Bars (agian)

Stefano,
	The following is from memory, so beware;) Alfa used two different lengths
of torsion bars. Alfettas and GTV6s prior to '85(?, whenever the removable
crossmember was added) used the longer bars while later GTV6s and all
Milanos used the shorter bars. Since you have an Alfetta you will have to
stick with the longer Alfetta or early GTV6 torsion bars.
	I believe alfa produced the longer torsion bars in three different
diameters. IIRC, the earliest cars have 19.x mm bars, the later alfettas
have 21.x mm bars, and the gtv6s have 23.4 mm bars. I have an old AR Ricambi
catalog somewhere that has the precise values and spring rates if you need
them. The AR Ricambi sport torsion bar for the Alfetta is equivilant to the
stock gtv6 bar (~23.5mm).
	I went through the Alfetta suspension upgrade project on my car a couple of
years ago. I chose to go with AR Ricambi's Sport front and rear sway bars. I
think I also used their sport rear springs which dropped the rear a 1/2".
Then I added the 23.x mm torsion bars from an early gtv6. The results were
fantastic. The car can easily outhandle my gtv6 and does not ride any
harsher (I replaced all of the rubber bushings too which helped a lot). The
door handles don't get all scraped up going around corners anymore either!
	Unfortunately, less than six months after the suspension upgrade the
alternator went out and I parked the car in the garage to work on it. The
alternator repair turned into a rust/body work repair project and the car
has been parked ever since.
	If anyone wants to buy a set of stock 21.x mm torsion bars or the front or
rear sway bars from a '78 Sprint Veloce I have a set I need to get rid of.
Need to clear out the basement.

-Obie
Tacoma, Wa.
164S