Re: glycol effects, was: to tap or distill?

As the resident toxicologist, I guess I'll chime in on
this one (sorry, no alfa content):

ethylene glycol is metabolized by alcohol
dehydrogenase to a series of metabolites which
ultimately include oxalic acid, which is the toxic
metabolite.  Deposition of calcium oxalate crystals in
tubules of the kidney and small blood vessels in the
brain is associated with damage of these organs.

Interestingly, an antidote to etylene glycol poisoning
is ethanol, since both compounds compete for the same
metabolic enzyme.  So essentially, ethanol will block
the conversion of ethylene glycol to its toxic
metabolite.

I noticed one of the posts mentioned propylene glycol.
 This is a completely different compound than EG.  PG
is used extensively as a solvent, coolant and
antifreeze, and a component of hydraulic fluids.  PG,
however, is considered "generally recognized as safe"
by the FDA, and is also a constituent of many
cosmetics and processed foods.

Well, I hope I haven't bored you guys too much.

Alfa Content: My 1991 164S is a pleasure to drive, and
almost makes me wish I had a longer commute (with no
traffic).  I use a 50:50 mix of ethylene glycol and
distilled water, with a bottle of water wetter thrown
in for good measure.

Dom
1991 164S
http://personals.yahoo.com