SPIDER seat belt source

In V8 #224 Dana Loomis asks: "Does anyone know of a source for good
quality, retractor-type 3-point lap/shoulder belts?  A generic,
universal fit type of unit would be fine,..."

********

Should your car be a Series, 1, 2, (or pre diagonal lap / shoulder belt)
3  Spider, I sell a complete kit:
http://www.alfacybersite.com/ACSDiagSpdSBlt.html

Several years ago a client whose '73 Spider I was semi-restoring asked
for retracting diagonal seat beltsin lieu of the frayed seat belts he
and his wife had been using.

I did a lot of head scratching and checking of sources. The initial
installation was 'pretty good' but the supplied 30 cm (female) stalk was
far too high, and in my opinion (and the clients) dangerous. The reason
being the male / female latch are just about at your lower ribs
(depending on height) and one would surely walk away with at least a
cracked rib in case of even a small accident.

I relocated the stalks mounting point farther back on the tunnel. The
larger washer and nut ended up being very close to the driveshaft, but
didn't rub. Later the client complained about the belt pulling out of
the supplied (by me) rear seat belt guide. This and another problem were
pretty well resolved by using shrink tubing.

I special order the diagonal belts from Europe with 15 cm stalks (all my
sources sell the belt Only with the 30 cm stalk) which can now be
attached directly to the center's captive (actually welded) nut. Only
downside here is they have a solid stalk which slightly interferes when
moving the passenger seat back and forth or tilting the seat forward.
It's unfortunate the large round seat back adjusting 'wheel' is on the
inside of the seats on Spiders.

Since these changes I've had only minor complaints from clientsthe
return spring on the retractor could be somewhat stronger (I agree) and
the coating on the seat back guides wears off after a while. They
(generally) only come in a drab beige and I coat with a black plastic
coating (however, do have a pair of red impregnated guides in stock).

I offer only in pairs (1 set) and come complete with instructions
specific for Alfa Spiders, seat belt guides / stainless sheet metal
screws, a pair of thick 3" zinc plated washers for use on the inside
wheel well when mounting the retractor mechanism, plus all other
necessary hardware.

They are currently in stock, ready to ship. Love PayPal.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA

I do have a pair of Series 4 seat belt guides. In my opinion, they're
butt ugly, but if one was willing to go to a Lot of trouble to modify
their seat back, they would be more convenient and somewhat safer
(relatively speakingremember, we're talking not much but sky above
Spiders). You would have to remove the seat back covering and weld in
support plates and an 8 mm nut. The bolt for the top portion is 10 mm
and must be inserted from inside the seat back and tightened down before
the entire back material is reinstalled.

My clients have all wanted added safety with a minimum of visual and
actual intrusions on the interior of their Spiders.