rain-x free alternative?

Hello all,
I read that Jay had no success with anti-fog stuff on his helmet visor.
I bought a 1969 Honda CB750F2 from a fella in Meath and as I was about to
leave on my new steed in a light rain, he suggested rubbing washing-up
liquid onto the inside of the visor on my AGV helmet to prevent fogging. It
actually worked!
When I bought my alfa 33 this time last year, the blower fan did not work
and the previous owner had put some evil coating on the inside of the
windscreen. The screen was always fogged and the only way to see out was to
keep drying the screen with kitchen towels while trying to avoid unseen
oncoming traffic.
I have tried diffrent anti-fog stuff over the years and have found that they
are worse than useless. Getting the slime after deciding it is no good is
almost impossible. I have tried some mad suggestions for removing said slime
but to no avail (rub glass with a half-apple, scrub glass with newspaper
soaked in vinegar/cider/vintage champagne)
The slime is harder to remove than a middle eastern dictatorship.
Any ideas?

Jake in connemara.
1992 33 1351cc