Re: 74 Spider -- Tap or Distilled ? ? ?

Tim,
	I know you're going to get recommendations (from people who I consider
to be quantum leaps ahead of me on Alfas) to use distilled water instead of tap
water.  My input is that it doesn't matter.  Distilled water (or any relatively
pure water) is highly reactive and will dissolve the container it is in up to
the saturation or solid solubility point.  (Hell, let's face it, WATER IS THE
BEST SOLVENT ON THE PLANET!)  So upon hitting the radiator and block, tap water
and distilled water will dissolve as much brass and aluminum as they can hold.
So the distinction becomes mute.  It is the job of the antifreeze to inhibit
further electrolysis.  But I doubt there is much difference in the initial
electrolysis that occurs with a fresh mix, be it distilled or tap.
	On the other hand, distilled water is very important for batteries.  In
that case, the salts present in tap water can inhibit electrical action or plate
out onto the lead electrodes, degrading battery performance.  A little bit is
probably not too bad.  But accumulated over the years for an older battery that
always sems to require topping up, distilled water will make a difference.

Cheers,
Charlie
'89 Spider
San Jose