tank sender modifications

Hey all,
I was just following the engine stand thread with much interest..I'm gonna
take the advice and make me one of of the side mounts for a regular cheap
engine stand. Anyways, I have an early spider ('73) and my old gas tank
sending unit needs replacing. So going by what I know, i bought the only
sender available which is for the later spiders. I know it needs to be
modified such as the distance from the float pivot to the top mounting
flange, and also bend the float arm wire differently. Also i would have to
plug up the extra tube (also acts as the pivot mount). Does anyone have any
details on how to perform all this? If you've done this i could really use
some advice. can i just cut and rebraze the tube so its lower? and will the
float arm wire bend sufficiently without breaking? I'd really hate to
destroy a brand new sender experiementing. Any help would be much
appreciated.

Keith S.
73 spider