Shocks

All this talk about SPAX and Koni shocks has got me thinking. I had
shopped Spax a couple of years ago and found there were concerns about
the quality, so I didn't pursue the matter further. Not only am I not
ready to spend $450 on a set of Konis, the fact that they must be
removed from the car to adjust (well, OK , at least the front) means
that I will rarely adjust them. This is in spite of the fact that I plan
to autocross the car and the adjustability would be a nice selling
point.

It makes me wonder - if I just wanted to stiffen the shocks (not the
springs, I want the car to stay in the stock class, so I can only change
the shocks), what would be a good low-cost alternative? Are the
Bilsteins stiffer than the stock shocks?

At $115 per corner, I'm just not ready to bite. If I could find a set of
Konis used or on clearance for less, I'd look into it.... But it's just
not worth that much to me. I would be willing to pay $200 for a set of
four to get a mild improvement, though.

So does anyone have any comments on stiffer shocks that are lower cost
and not adjustable?

Thanks,

-Glenn