Milano Verde vs. 996 (on 280W in NJ)

The recent posts on the AD about the GTV6 vs. 911 made no sense to me, because in my mind they are two completely different cars.  I had a chance to last weekend to test a 911 (actually a 996) on the highway.

I was actually able to get a Porsche owner to go 100 mph for a long stretch.  We were stuck on a 2 lane highway with some traffic for a while and then the road opened up to 4 lanes and that's when we took off.  Next thing I know I looked down at the speedo it was 145mph.  I kept loosing ground to him going up hill, but I was half a car length behind him on turns and flat areas.  This went on for 10-12 miles!!  Speeds of 130-145mph (never lower then 130mph).  I was about to exit and we both slowed down and he pulled up next to me to ask me what kind of car is that? "Alfa Romeo" I answered "That's a 4 door car, you were right behind me"  I answered "Yeah good run" and I exited with total satisfaction.  I don't know how much he had left, but just the fact that I paid $5,000 for my car and he paid over $80,000 for his and I was only half a car length behind made me feel great for the rest of the day.

Alan
88 Milano 3.0 in NJ (anyone see me blow by them on 280W?)