Re: engine stands

My engine stand experiences:  All my 4 cylinder engines use 8 mm studs (8 x
1.25 in the block and 8 x 1.0 on the nut end) coming out of the block.  I
have 6 engines mounted on generic rear mount stands in my garage right now,
at one time I had 9 (thank goodness for HarborFreight and other discount tool
places selling cheap engine stands), some have been on stands for years and
are regularly moved around.  Every engine I've rebuilt or worked on out of a
car has been mounted on a stand at one time or another from the rear and I've
never seen a crack or any sort of failure.  Then again I guess there are many
ways to mount the block to the stand.  I drilled the flat mounting plate that
comes with the stands to bolt to the back of an old bellhousing.  The block
is bolted to the bellhousing.  I supect the locator pins in the block [to
bellhousing] take most of the engine weight off the studs once everything is
properly tightened.  Mounting up an engine to a stand from the rear is always
a good time to check the condition of the studs and how well they are secured
into the block.  A 4 cylinder Alfa engine only weighs ~240 lbs.

I would be interested (if the price was right) in a mount to fit a generic
engine stand that holds the engine at the motor mounts (especially if it
swiveled to spin the engine front to back) so you could work on the flywheel
- tough to do with a bellhousing in the way.

Ben Higgins
Galveston, TX