Re: 164 brakes locked up

keith wrote:

> I was driving my 91 164L today and the brakes came on and wouldnt release.
> The brake pedal was full of pressure and wouldnt move when I pressed it.  I
> pulled over and sat for 20 minutes, then when I started the car again it
> acted normal.  The car has sat for a year without being driven much and I
> just started driving it for the last 2 weeks.  I had the rear calipers
> replaced before I started driving this car again.  Is it possible that this
> would be the result of an air bubble in the lines?  Could this be a result
> of the brake lines not being flushed properly?

Question: was it all the wheels that were locked or just one of the rear ones?

If it was one of the rear ones (most likely the driver's side) it is probably a failure
of the brake compensator for the rear brakes. However, there are many other
possibilities which I'll leave for others to elaborate on.

REMEMBER: I'm no mechanic, just a driver (ask Russ Neely)!! Get expert help...brakes
are a life-or-death part of your Alfa.

'nardo
mine - '83 GTV6
hers - '91 164S, '69 GTV