Overdue report (longish)

Hey Gang -
I promised Joe Cantrell that I would write a ditty about the fun time I had
at the AROO PIR track day last Sunday, and I let a full week get by without
writing a thing.
I rode while Greg Miller drove his Spider over some nice Washington back
roads to Portland last Saturday afternoon prior to an evening at our the
house of our host (national boardmember) Doug Zaitz.
We pulled up to Doug's house only to find him looking for the bilge pump on
his new boattail race car.  He and Dan Sommers are the new co-owners of Keith
Martin's Spider.  Doug towed the car in a downpour from its garage in
downtown Portland and the seats and interior were pretty "damp."
We spent Saturday night eating, drinking fine wine and Oregon whiskey (that's
right, single malt scotch distilled in Portland), talking Alfas, and reading
the copious amount of Alfa literature that adorns Doug's den.
Sunday morning found us up a "oh-dark-thirty" for the Alfa convoy to
breakfast near the track.  Doug wanted me to drive his Milano on the off
chance that we had nice weather, in which case he "might" drive the Jr. Z
during the "fast tours."  The Jr. (with a 2-litre motor, it's really a Sr. Z)
has not been on a track as long as Doug owned it.
After the morning fog burned off, the weather turned gorgeous, so Doug and I
took off to pick up the Jr.  I was happily surprised when Doug asked if I
would like to drive it back to PIR.  "Would I, Would I?"  The response to the
old joke was "Hare Lip, Hare Lip."  But judgement prevailed, and instead of a
flip remark, I jumped at the opportunity.  How could I pass up the chance to
drive such a nice example of my dream Alfa and one of only 37 in the US.  WOW
was that fun!!  Once at the track, Doug remarked about my Cheshire cat grin
and my frequent use of rpms in first and second gear.  (Sorry Doug, I
couldn't help myself)!!
We got settled in to a great day of driving.  About 65 cars registered to
enjoy late October sunshine in a wonderful venue.  The AROO group has lots of
experience getting people in, registered, teched and onto the track.  They do
a thorough job of getting the different sessions on track, on time, and back
to the pits safely.
I had driven PIR previously a couple of years ago in Novice sessions, but
this time I drove in the "fast touring" group in Greg's car.  It brought back
pleasant memories, but not as pleasant as the memories that are forming from
the opportunity to ride with my buddy Joe Cantrell in his prepared street
Spider.
Besides his excellent camera work, Joe's passion is his Spider, and it shows.
 With recently acquired Kuhmo Ecsta 712s mounted on Mustang rims, Rugh
springs, and polyurethane bushings (Thanks Alfa Bill) the car is TIGHT.  Joe
claims he can drive over a quarter and tell you if it is heads or tails.  The
2000cc's coupled to a dynamite-sounding exhaust completes the setting.  I
asked Joe (at speed) what kind of exhaust system he was running, but I could
not hear the reply (insert BIG grin).  Oh, I forgot to mention the newly
installed Miata bucket seats.  Minor welding was required, but the fit is
great, and the seat is very comfortable.  They provide a different level of
support than the stock seats, but definitely to my liking.
It was cool to drive and ride at speed at a track that is negotiated
clockwise, different from the counter-clockwise travel at SIR (now Pacific
Raceways) and Bremerton, the two tracks I am most used to driving.  Now I
have made a promise to myself to return in the Spring in the Hondarati
Sportwagon.  Besides, this will allow me to wear out my tires on the left
side of the car.
And hey, to you Joe, thanks again for taking me for a very enjoyable ride.

Gordy Hyde
on the edge of Seattle
(or the north edge of Portland, depending on your perspective)