Importing a Smart Car

My wife and I looked into this (we'd still like to do it, but she bought
a horse first -- you think cars are an expensive hobby!) and here's what
we found out.

Sally Jesse was able to obtain the video tapes of the TUV tests for
impact, etc, and emissions.  She used the video tapes as evidence that
was presented to DOT/EPA and she was able to demonstrate that the car
had the correct approved emissions and crash tests.  My question was,
and still is: if that's the case, than shouldn't the Smart Car be on the
DOT/EPA approved list?  The government websites don't appear to be
updated that often, but theoretically, the Smart car should be
importable as is.

Bill Bain
AROC Atlanta
'83 Spider Veloce