Re: 17-digit VIN

Bryan Carter wrote:

"The major obstacle for a foreign vehicle is the VIN.  I don't know about the Carolina's, but in Washington you have to have a State Police inspection done on any vehicle coming from out of state.  They run the VIN through NCIC, and I'm not sure how you could get around the fact that you won't have a 17 digit VIN."

The US 17 digit VIN standard is based on and compliant with the 17 digit ISO standard. The European Union 17 digit VIN standard is also based on and compliant with the 17 digit ISO standard, but because the ISO standard allows some slack, the US and EU standards are slightly different. The main difference is that fields 10 and 11 are used for the year and the plant in the US standard, while this information is optional in the EU standard. A 17 digit VIN has been used since the early 1980's on all Alfas whether they were sold in the US or not. The main difference is AR puts zeros in the fields for the year and the plant on vehicles not sold in the US.

Sonny
164S, Baltimore