cracked frame on spider

In a message dated 10/29/2001 5:25:31 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> The clunking noise generated from the cracked frame, next to the steering
> box itself (Tom Sahines found it). It ran a long side the drain hose from
> the front tire looking in. When we turned the steering wheel, we could see
> the crack separating and close.

Apparently this is not unheard of -- the same happened in the same place on
our 91 spider and we had it repaired with a welded plate in pretty much the
same way.  I would guess this is more than mere coincidence as I've heard
others report it, too.  I doubt it's a case of inferior Soviet steel so I
would suspect it's a weak spot.  Prior to a clunk you could notice it when
you have your wheels aligned or your suspension checked when the wheels are
rotated.  As long as the car is on a lift or over a trench and you know what
you're looking for, it I easy to see.  I don't know why this seems to happen
on the driver's side and not the passenger side, other than to guess that the
driver's side bears weight every time the car is driven and the passenger
side doesn't, if that could make a difference.

There are no guarantees in life, but my guess the welded plate patch is as
strong or stronger than the piece of original frame which cracked.

Charlie
LA. CA, USA