importing non-conforming cars int othe USA

In a message dated 10/28/2001 6:56:40 PM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> I'm curious to hear if any listers have attempted to
> import a modern Alfa or other "non-conforming" car to
> the U.S.  I'm talking about models that have never
> been sold new here. ....
>
> It sounds like quite a difficult and expensive
> procedure in addition to shipping, smog compliance,
> safety issues and labeling requirements.
>
> Has anyone ever gone through this with any success?

I think Bill Gates has done it.

There is a famous. Woman who hosts a news or talk show on US TV (I don't
recall her name) who finally was able to bring in a "cute" Smart.

There are probably other people with so much money and so many assistants
they can eventually accomplish anything, no matter how harebrained (they made
Waterworld , Planet of the Apes, and the Postman, after all).

The rest of us should observe from the comfort of an armchair and hope the
spell will pass.

Charlie
LA, CA, USA