164 slow to warm up

My 82 GTV 6 was slow to warm up as is my 164L. VW products are notorious
for slow warm up. Japanese cars warm up extremely quickly, whether aluminum
block or iron. My little Mazda Protege belts out full heat within about 10
minutes of driving in the coldest weather, faster if ambient is halfway
civilized. The 164 can take half an hour when the temperature drops to
minus 30. Even in summer it takes 15- 20 minutes (thermostat works fine and
I have the hot standard thermo for my market)

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada
91 Alfa 164L, White, original owner