Berlina steering box replacement

Here's something I've never done before - replaced the steering box on an
Alfa.

I've got the Berlina up on the lift, have disconnected the steering linkage
and the hardware bolting it to the car.  At this point the only things
holding the box in place are the horn wire and the steering column shaft.

My question to those who have done this before is whether I can disconnect
the steering column shaft from the box without pulling the entire assembly
out of the car.

The current steering box is junk, the new one is sitting on the bench.  From
looking at the new one it appears that the shaft should pop right out of the
box.

It doesn't matter if I destroy the old box in the process, it's already
junk.  Can this job really be this easy, or do I have to start yanking
headers, etc to pull out the entire assembly?

Tia,

bs