Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 07:55:42 +0100
From: "Tim Hancock" <timhancock@domain.elided>
Subject: Re:'91 164S slow warm up even with new
thermostat

Jerry

This is an Alfa design trait (fault??) My 164 TS is
just so slow to
warm up. I
was getting paranoid about it, but then I remembered
that all three
Alfas
(164TS & 75 TS) I have owned have been the same, and
everyone you speak
says ditto.

Last winter on a foggy/icy day it failed to get to
operating temp for
nearly
20 miles. In fact I shut the heater off just to get
the engine to warm
up.
When I checked the thermostat it was working just
fine. In the bad old
days I
remember people blanking off sections of the radiator
in very cold
weather,
but I don't trust that method with todays engines.

What irks me is that the engine is quite evidently
chucking out bucket
loads
of heat, because that is what engines do. What I don't
understand is
where it
hides it all !!. By contrast my wifes modest 1300cc
Czech transport
system is
pushing out lovely warm air from the heater in little
over a mile.
Grrrrr.

After a truly beautiful October the weather is just
turning cooler
here, so I
am just entering the 'slow warm-up' period again.

Tim Hancock   164TS Lusso                    Boston UK
http://personals.yahoo.com