Re: alfa-digest V8 #180

> Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 18:10:48 -0400
> From: Joe Elliott <jee@domain.elided>
> Subject: fun cars
> As if I haven't spent enough of my day (I got up at 3:00) posting to
> the AD, I feel like I should defend the Jaguar XJS from being
> referred to as troublesome. (I also feel like I should share why I
> think American muscle cars are even worse than 911s in terms of
> spending money on/letting loved ones drive, but I'll refrain.)

Well Joe, to each his (or her) own, I guess.  I have owned/ driven/ helped
to fix/ raced all kinds of "fun" cars over the years (way too many to list
here).  In my opinion, CARS are fun...I love many different types!  The
'lighter' muscle cars ARE crude, but with all that pushrod torque and HP,
they can be pretty smile-inducing!  In fact, a few of those sow's ears can
be made to handle pretty well, too!  911s can be very fast around a track
because of that engine hanging out the back (weight transfer advantages in
acceleration and braking) and they are pretty reliable (which is good, cuz
they're expensive to fix).  The Jag XJS sold here (N.America) are very
classy cars, but they're hard to work on (the rear brakes take longer to do
and are more costly than any 116 or 119 for example).  They are also very
complex (especially the earlier ones) and are prone to 'niggly' troubles.
How do I know that?  I have a few good friends who owned and drove the XJS
(one guy worked as a professional Jag mechanic at a Jag dealer).

In any event (and to ensure Alfa content), I prefer Alfas...they're fun,
fast and full of "Cuore Sportivo"!  Long live all of our Alfas!

Can we go back to Alfa stuff now?

Cheers,
Alex Csank
Alfa Nut in Norfolk, VA
Rally Director, Alfa Romeo Pan-America Rally 2003
Web-Master, Hampton Roads Alfa Club (a Branch of MAARC)
http://voodnvoodn.homestead.com/welcome.html
'69 Spider 1300 Junior (going to a car show today and an Alfisti's memorial
service tomorrow)
'78 Alfetta Sprint Veloce (getting a new bell-housing put on next week)
'87 Milano Gold (almost time for timing belt/ water-pump/ new mechanical
tensioner)
'98 VW Jetta TDi (Vento in Europe) (my wife's car)
Still Looking For Another (any free cars out there?  My 16 year-old son
needs an Alfa)