La Carrera - 10/26 report

Alfisti -

I haven't received anything from Patrick Bowling, the co-pilota of the '60
Giulietta Sprint, in a few days but I've been getting bits and pieces from
other sources regarding the pre-race action in sunny southern Mexico.

Zack Johnson, the navigator of the 69 GTV, sent me an e-mail indicating that
his team met up with the Chicago team and were able to compare notes.  Zack
says: "The excitement is getting pretty strong here since the race starts
tomorrow. Well, much to do, talk to you soon."

Mike Besic, the crew chief of the Chicago team, spoke to his wife last night
(10/25) and made this report:  The race organizers arranged for a parade lap
around town to celebrate La Carrera.  The parade route was long and the pace
very slow.  This combined with the 90+ temperatures, several race cars (built
to run flat-out) overheated, including the Sprint.  Needless to say, seeing
your car spew forth large amounts of coolant one day before a weeklong
endurance race caused more than a little anxiety in the pits.

Mike and Ken Smoot (crew member) apparently left the pits in the support
vehicle about 6:00 this morning (10/26) to get a head start on the race pack
and plan to meet the car at the first checkpoint.  Martin Hancock and Patrick
Bowling, left the starting blocks around 8:00 local time.  Hopefully, Patrick
will get access to a decent phone line tonight and send me an e-mail report
of the First Stage.  I'm dying to know!!!

Darren Besic