Re: alfa-digest V8 #173 - Metric threads

John,
       You forgot the two 7 mm studs on the far driver's side end of the
water pump.  However, that is only on the later four cylinders.  The 85 Bosch
engine in my garage has them, the 74 GTV in the garage has all 6 mm studs on
the water pump.  So you are forgiven as I know you do not have any late
spiders.
       Otherwise I agree.  When I go buy spare bolts, nuts and washers at the
local hardware store, the 6 and 7 mm are all the same thread.  I have to buy
both fine and regular 8 mm parts.  It seems both 10 and 12 are fine thread,
but I am not as sure.
       Bolts larger than 12 mm seem to be rare on the Alfa.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City

In a message dated 10/26/2001 8:40:58 AM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 23:29:51 -0400
> From: "John Hertzman" <johnhertzman@domain.elided>
> Subject: Metric threads (was: Re: Spica head-to-manifold studs)

<snip>

> No arguments here, but an observation on what seems to be DIN terminology for
> fine and standard. The little information I have is that all the Alfa 6 mm
> fasteners are DIN standard, 6 x 1 mm, DIN fine being 0.75 in 6 mm. The 4 mm
> and 5 mm fasteners are also counted as DIN standard, 0.7 mm and 0.8 mm
> respectively rather than DIN fine 0.5 for both. Otherwise, elsewhere on the
> car Alfa fasteners seem to be more commonly DIN fine rather than DIN
> standard.
> The 8 mm certainly come in both 1 mm fine and 1.25 mm standard thread, 10 mm
> also in both 1 mm and 1.25 mm thread, 12 mm apparently only in the 1.5 mm
> fine
> thread rather than 1.75 standard, 14 mm and 16 mm also 1.5 fine rather than
> 2.0 standard, 18 mm and 20 mm also in 1.5 mm.

<snip>