Re; 164Q overheating

My 94 LS is doing the same thing. I just got it back from the shop having a
manifold replaced and found the overflow tank to be empty - even though I had
not been on any big trip prior to that. Also no signs of leaks in driveway/on
the motor, or in the motor oil etc. I filled it up and then did go on a 500
mile trip including many miles stuck in stop-and-go- traffic and came back to
find tank still full. As there was no reason to suspect the mechanic might
have opened up a hose when replacing the exhaust manifold, it leads me to
suspect a problem which I have experienced before - i.e whenever the engine
overheats and the tank is filled to its upper level, a seam in the side of
the radiator (which is plastic, by the way) opens up and coolant escapes. I
did put in some stop-leak which cured it for a while, but it still does
repeat itself occasionally. I did install one cure for the problem, that is,
an on/off switch under my seat which goes to the fan relays. Whenever the
needle creeps up to danger level ( esp. when air is on and in heavy traffic)
I turn on the fan and leave it on for a while (although the fan does go on at
its appropriate times). This keeps the motor adequately cool until I can turn
the switch off again ( a must a.s.a.p. to prevent burnout).
Graham