Re: alfa-digest V8 #168 - 72 GTV oil pan tightening seq. and torque specs

In a message dated 10/25/2001 10:48:05 AM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 21:13:38 -0700
> From: John Watson <jwatson2@domain.elided>
> Subject: 72 GTV oil pan tightening seq. and torque specs?
>
> Can anyone tell me what the bolt tightening sequencing and torque
> specifications are for a 72 GTV oil pan?
>
> John Watson
> San Ramon, CA
> 72 GTV

        I am not aware of any no bolt tightening sequence for anything but
the head gasket.  I normally start somewhere, snug down finger tight all
around, tighten a bit more with a wrench.  By grasping the socket with the
palm of your hand and the socket between your middle fingers you can apply a
bit of torque with no danger of getting the bolt too tight.  By cinching down
on the wrench, you no not have a lot of torque.  Tighten all around using
that method.
       Then start with the torque wrench where it will fit and an end wrench
where it will not. I estimate torque should be around 10 to 15 foot pounds,
as explained below.
       I could not find a torque setting the oil pan.  The mid 1980's Alfa
shop manual on page 01-15 says 10 to 16 foot pounds for the front cover and
water pump bolts, which are mostly 6 mm with a couple of 7 mm.  The book says
Cam bearing nuts are 14.8 to 16.2 foot pounds.  The cam bearings are 8 mm.
All the above thread into the aluminum.
       The pan bolts are 7 mm.  Interpolate from the above. The ones that
thread into aluminum should be tightened less that the bolts with a nut on
the opposite side.  The ones with the nuts car be tightened considerably
tighter since you are pulling against the steel nut rather than the aluminum.
       Now you cannot get the torque wrench on all bolts.  Tighten the ones
you can torque.  The take an end wrench, test the bolt you just tightened to
get a feel for what that amount of torque feels like on your hand, then
duplicate the effort.
       With practice you can learn to just torque things by hand.  Head bolts
and such need to all be the same.  However most bolts are fine if they are
just relatively tight.
       Given the distance around the pan, when you are done, go around again.
 Some bolts will loosen up when another is tightened.

       Any one have the conversion from foot pounds to inch points?  Is it
simply a factor of 12?  I have a little inch pound torque wrench that is much
handier to set and use on small bolts like those on the bottom of the Alfa
bat wing sump.  I normally tighten those to about 150 inch pounds.
       Also how about a conversion to Newton Meters (N-M) and Kilogram Meters
(Kg-M).  There are multiple scales on some torque wrenches.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City