Adjusting Timing chain tension on 91 Spider

Hello all,
 I could hear the timing chain flapping against the case when I drove up hill at higher gear. Can I adjust the timing chain without removing the valve cover?
 Just unscrew the tensioner bolt, put in 5th gear, rock back and forth (per shop manual) and tighten it? Why do we have to open the head cover? Please let me know. I have no oil leak on the valve cover gasket now and I don't really like to open it up.

Thanks,

Louis,

91 Spider Veloce,
Sunnyvale, CA