Re: horn relay problem, 5 prong to 3 prong?

Hi Luke:

About a month ago I went trough the same thing on my '74 Spider.  I had no
horns for a year or so, and finally got them fixed.  The very next morning,
they saved my ass on the interstate when a Ford Explorer (what a
coincidence) started to move left one lane, almost crushing me and the
Spider into the concrete divider.  The Bosch relay and Fiamm horns really
saved our pancetta.

Anyway, the OEM Fiamm relay can easily be replaced by a Bosch or other
generic equivalent.  While the Bosch relay has two external terminals that
would each be connected to +12v, on the Fiamm, the terminals are internally
connected, so only one external terminal is needed (red wire).  12V+ needs
to be supplied to one side of the relay coil, and also to one side of the
relay switch.  One of the two remaining terminals goes to the horn switch
(black wire), and the other goes to the horns (purple wire).

I soldered a short jumper made from 18 ga. non-stranded copper wire between
terminals #30 and  #85 on the Bosch relay, down close to the relay's
plastic case.  The Spider's OEM red wire can then be pugged onto either of
those terminals.  The OEM purple wire goes to the horns, and plugs onto
relay terminal #87.  The OEM black wire goes to the horn switch, and plugs
onto relay terminal #86.  That's all there is to do.

I found a new set of OEM Fiamm horns on eBay for $16.00 shipped.  The guy
had many sets, and I think I was the only bidder at the time.  Do a search
for "Fiamm" and I'll bet he's still got lots left.    He also had Fiamm air
horns, but the OEM type are plenty loud, at least when they're not 27 years
old!  The new horns also came with a new 5-terminal Fiamm relay, which I
used to replace the old, OEM starter relay (plug and play, no jumpers
needed).  Any questions, don't be afraid to ask.

Regards,

Dean W. Cains
dwc@domain.elided

'74 Spider Veloce