164 Optical Alarm Transmitter

 What distance from the car (164s) does the average door lock open and close
 when activating the key sending unit ? I have to place mine next to the
 driver's side window and pointing towards the receiver in the interior light
 housing, for the locks to activate and even then it frequently does not work.
 I have replaced the batteries, cleaned all inner terminals and placed
 supports under the circuit board so it does not slip out of its mounts (which
 it frequently does). Can these key sending units be replaced or renewed?
 Graham Arlen
 94 164LS

----

Graham,

These optical units are tricky. "They all do that."(FYI to others: these are not the same as the earlier RF units) I usually put mine within 2 feet of the window for it to work. I decided about 2 years ago to stop using mine and use a steering wheel club when I park in risky locations.

If you have fresh batteries and a clean window, that's about all you can do with the hardware you have. Be sure you don't have any internal breaks...at one point my LED broke away from the circuit board.

I did briefly explore programming my Palm to transmit the proper signals using a free Universal Remote program from the web. Normal TV/VCR universal remotes don't have the correct frequencies, AFAIK. I lost interest before I got too far with that route. Also check Colin's 164 page for more wisdom.

Ciao,
Karl
1995 164LS