GTV-6 Boom!

'86 GTV-6, 2.5L, 164S cams, MSD ignition. Saturday I took the rear Ansa
exhaust off and replaced it with a straight pipe. Drove around all day
listening to the new sounds. Sunday morning I opened the garage door and
turned the key... KABOOM! Thought the engine self destructed... What I
heard was a rather large backfire and the noise of the air intake hose
hitting the inside of the front bonnet upon leaving the intake manifold. I
put it back on and tried again, same thing (some minor flames around the
intake this time)... Any ideas what might have caused this? Lack of back
pressure? I'll be putting the old Ansa back on. Thanks in advance.