snow tires - no alfa content

I've read that the Blizzaks work really well in snow and ice but they have
one characteristic that turns me off.  My understanding is that they have an
oddball construction.  That is, only the top half of the tread depth has the
"winter" pattern.  Once the tires are 50% worn, you're left with what are
essentially some marginal quality all-seasons.  Just doesn't seem very cost
effective to me.

FWIW, my experience has also been that going to a narrower/taller tire works
well for winter use.  The OEM setup on my Acura is 195/55-15 Michelins on
15x6 alloy wheels.  I bought a set of used 14x5.5 steel rims and slapped
185/65-14 winter rubber on them.  Not significantly different in width or
profile, but enough to make a big difference in winter traction.

Cheers,
Greg Stewart
Ottawa, Canada
74 GTV