Carrera Panamerica

Hi List

Just wanted to second something a fellow lister said to Darren Besic. I
fully agree with Jorge on this - this would be a treat.

"Darren - I'd personally love to read your nightly reports on the
Giulietta's progress. Please post them here. Jorge Mazlumian Redlands, CA"

I am rather gratified that I get to know about people who are fortunate
enough to participate in this event of events. Its my fave - just because it
conjures up so much of the idea of the wild west.

I wonder if anyone out there in the Carrera this year or in the  recent past
version of the event are actually driving those single carb Freccia D Oro
models that were driven in the 1950 race by such illuminaries such as Piero
Taruffi. They didnt do too well - apparently the reason given was that the
factory outfitted the cars with one carb because of some misinterpretation
on the engine set up rules - the cars found it difficult to breathe at hi
altitude and fared poorly on long straights compared to a lot of the Detroit
V8s. I forget the details - but I can look it up if someone is interested.
The first race (1950) was won by Herschel McGriff (an unknown American
youth)if I recall in a Hudson Hornet. I actually got to see this car along
with a repro Carrera Lancia Aurelia coupe in a special exhibit at the Reno
Car musuem. The cars had the backseat removed - extra cabin cooling fans and
a HUGE gas tank that sat in the back seat for range.

The biggest sponser for the race was the Mexican oil company - Mexolina. The
race was developed by the Mexican government to showcase their newly built
north - south highway. The route in 50 was S_N, all other years N_S.

One day...ciao!

Shivu Rao
San Francisco, Calif. USA
Alfa backseat admirer